Ubby and Doe did just fine. Doe was jogging around the gym during Ubby's game, waiting for his game to start. The surprise was Boo's game. I knew her team was in trouble when I saw the other team congregating early. They all knew each other. They had 2 late-teen coaches. When they started warm up, they had a routine.
Boo's coach arrived a few minutes before the game. One at a time, the kids on her team came over to the group. No one knew anyone else. They stood their and did nothing until the game started. I had a great, foreboding feeling when I heard something like this from the other team:
Hey, what position are you?
I'm right wing.
Right wing!?! They knew the names of the positions? This was the first time in Boo's 10 years that she had even picked up a hockey stick! This, and the fact that the entire night I saw 4 girls playing floor hockey. Ya, I guess this is traditionally a "boys" sport.
Right before the game started, Boo ran over to me and said, "Mom, I know a boy on the other team. I chase him at recess." I told her to go out there and try her best.
And, the game started. As I watched, I realized that there were some good players on Boo's team. And, Boo was actually a decent player. I have always wondered why none of our children seem to be obsessed over sports. Both BA Baracas and I really enjoyed sports growing up. Although Boo was by far the smallest person playing, she did a good job. She was close to scoring 3 times. I don't mean close like when she played soccer.
Side story:
(There was an 8th grader on her soccer team last year who was amazing. She made all the points. But a few times she would take pity on Boo and kick her the ball right in front of the goal without the goalie being there. I will admit that she never did score a goal.)
I mean, she got the puck and the goalie actually had to block her shot! Maybe all this teasing at home can be channeled into sports. And then there won't be any teasing and ... ya, never mind.
So last weekend we went to a pumpkin patch. I made the kids all wear pants. I'm sorry I did. It was over 80 degrees and we were all hot and sweaty. I bought snow cones for each of the kids out of guilt for making them wear hot clothes.

In the evening we went to our friends' home for a Halloween party. The Cherrys are moving in a few weeks and we are really going to miss them. They put on a great party. The kids loved it and I had fun too (BA Baracas was at a football game.) This is me, wrapped up like a mummy by my kids:

4 comments:
I hate to admit, before married I was a hockey groupy. I had season ticket, a jersey, you get the idea. I LOVE HOCKEY!!! I hope my kids have the same love for it.
We are heading off to the pumpkin patch next week! It looks like you found a fun one.
Love the Mummy picture. I just got done posted a picture similar but not of me. It's a fun game!!!
Hockey mom? I hear you have to own a lot of lipstick for that :-)
Sounds like a lot of fun! I need something like that for mine - let me know if it works with the teasing at home. :)
Good luck to your kids with the hockey. We branched out to football this year and the boys have loved it. I can't believe everyone is doign Halloween parties already. I need to start cranking out some costumes.
Post a Comment